Help me use this blog to promote the watching of dragonflies in Nova Scotia, send me your sighting and I'll put them up here. If you see something you can't identify, photograph it and I'll try to ID it for you. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
This used to be my old Quebec ode blog - I am now using it for NS odes but the QC stuff remains for those interested.
Free and cheap eBooks
- 19,551 hits
The Nova Scotia Ode list
Eastern Red Damsel.
Northern Pygmy Clubtail.
Eastern Least Clubtail.
Brush-tipped Emerald .*
Swift River Cruiser.
Here is a short glossary of some of the terms used in the blog posts, hopefully this will help any non-odeists who accidentally wander this way to understand things.
Ode = abbreviation of Odonata meaning all dragonflies and damselflies.
Dragonfly = a big one sort of.
Damselfly = a little one sort of.
Teneral = newly emerged flying insect.
Exuviae = the husk of the Larva.
Larva = the water-living insect before it emerges as a flying ode.
Head = the bit with the eyes!
Thorax = the bit the wings are bolted on to.
Abdomen = the long and generally colourful bit.
Genitalia = the fun parts used for ode dating!
Segment = a clearly defined section of the abdomen, numbered from the thorax back i.e. 1 to 9.
Paraprocts = the lower bits that stick out from the tail
end of the abdomen.
Cersus = the upper bits that stick out from the tail end of the abdomen.
Claspers = joint term for both bits that stick out from the tail end of the abdomen.
- Chalk and Cheese May 29, 2018
- Finally Emerged May 25, 2018
- Hopes and Odes for 2018 January 6, 2018
- High Water July 22, 2017
- Back to Quinn’s Falls Rd, Shelburne Co July 4, 2017
- Old Hay Road, Barrington June 14, 2017
- Mantled Baskettail June 12, 2017
- About Time! June 10, 2017
- Still Flying September 23, 2016
- Autumn Then September 15, 2016
- Winding Down September 8, 2016
- Local Emeralds August 23, 2016
- Drought August 10, 2016
- Black Saddlebags August 7, 2016
- Rusty Snaketail August 5, 2016
- Salty Ode August 4, 2016
- Two more for NS July 24, 2016
- Local Surprise #2 July 20, 2016
- Local Surprise #1 July 20, 2016
- Wentworth Lake Road, Shelburne Co July 17, 2016
- Clyde River Road Odes July 14, 2016
- Wilson Rd, Yarmouth Co July 4, 2016
- Spiketail July 1, 2016
- West Jeddore June 30, 2016
- Got my Little Bluet June 26, 2016
- Quinn’s Road, Clyde River – June 2016. June 22, 2016
- Slow start to 2016 June 19, 2016
- Sleeping November 16, 2014
- Recent wanderings July 18, 2014
- Stuttering start July 4, 2014
- Getting nearer March 27, 2014
- End of season November 15, 2013
- Odes and ends part three September 8, 2013
- Lucky September 3, 2013
- Odes and ends part deux. August 25, 2013
- Saddle up August 24, 2013
- Answer August 22, 2013
- Canada or Green-striped? August 22, 2013
- How lucky? August 20, 2013
- Not so elusive! August 16, 2013
- In the hand August 12, 2013
- Wandering stars August 7, 2013
- Darners August 6, 2013
- Meadowhawk update August 4, 2013
- A few odes and ends July 30, 2013
- More meadowhawks July 30, 2013
- And another one July 29, 2013
- Eastern Least Clubtail July 28, 2013
- Clubtail July 24, 2013
- River Bluet July 18, 2013
Quick look at the pages
- Adirondack visitor Center odonata
- Amber-winged Spreadwing in Quebec
- Autumn Meadowhawk
- Azure B;uet in Quebec
- Black Saddlebags in Quebec
- Blue Dasher in Quebec. Williamson's Emerald in Quebec.
- Blue Dassher in Quebec
- Bordelais Bog
- Brush-tipped Emerald in Quebec
- Comet Darner in Quebec
- Darners in Quebec
- Delta-spotted Spiketail in Quebec
- Eastern Amberwing in Quebec
- Eastern Amberwings
- Eastern Least Clubtail in Quebec
- Eastern Red Damsel in Quebec
- Fragile Forktail
- Green Darner
- Halloween Pennant in Quebec
- Harlequin Darner in Quebec
- Harpoon Clubtail in Quebec
- Lillypad Clubtail
- Maine dragonflies
- Maine Snaketail in Quebec
- Midland Clubtail
- Nevada odonata
- Odeing in Nova Scotia
- Odonata at Murphy's Point
- Powdered Dancer in Quebec
- Quebec Odonata. Quebec Dragonflies. Quebec libulleles
- Rainbow Bluets in Quebec
- River Bluet in Quebec
- Scarlet Bluet in Maine
- Shadow Darner in Quebec
- Slaty Skimmer in Quebec
- Sphagnum Sprite in Quebec
- St-Lazare sand pits
- Stream Cruiser in Quebec
- Swamp Spreadwing in Quebec
- Variegated Meadowhawk in Quebec
- Zebra Clubtail in Franklin County NY
September 2019 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Ode Books you should buy #1
Ode books you should buy #2
Ode books you should buy #3